RTO (Regenerative Thermal Oxidizer) is an organic waste gas treatment technology which has been developed in China in recent decades. After using in recent years, RTO has shown some problems, among which the more prominent problems are the fire and explosion of RTO and other security issues.
From the survey of the use of some enterprises, there are mainly the following reasons:
(1) RTO is not considered in the design of main equipment in some enterprises. There are some problems, such as inadequate safety consideration in design, insufficient automation, mismatch between actual working conditions and equipment load.
(2) The composition of organic waste gas in enterprises is diversified and the gas quantity is unstable. The characteristics of batch production in fine chemicals and other enterprises make the concentration and quantity of organic waste gas change intermittently.
(3) Some enterprises have not reasonably selected equipment and facilities according to their own reality. The actual working condition after production is quite different from the ideal condition of RTO.
(4) Poor consideration of sudden problems and inappropriate and untimely response to sudden problems.
In order to prevent the occurrence of RTO safety accidents and reduce accident losses, the common measures at present can be summarized as follows:
(1) Designers should understand the customer’s process and make clear the emission characteristics of organic waste gas and the possible sudden factors in the process.
(2) Strictly control the concentration of organic matter imported by RTO to a safe level, which is a fundamental measure to prevent explosion.
The main measures are as follows:
- >Installation of concentration monitor at the entrance of exhaust gas and necessary exhaust branch;
- >For high concentration exhaust gas, dilution air valve is addedto RTO inlet;
- >Add buffer tank to the exhaust gas inlet, and the volume of buffer tank should be properly designed;
- >Interlockcontrol among the concentration monitor, dilution air valve, RTO fan and other instruments and >equipment, make correct actions timely when sudden problems occur.